Thursday 2 January 2014

20. OF BOUQUETS & DULANGS

First of all, here's to a splendid 2014! I'm sure my fellow BTBs sharing their wedding in this same year as I am would have welcomed the year with open arms! Amidst all the buzz in preparing for each of your events, I hope you do remember to take a good breather & may everything be smooth sailing for you and your partner. Insya Allah.

(Sidetrack: I spent my first ever countdown at a bowling alley, with Ajul's family. Tak pernah aku kira 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 sambil campak bola bowling! Huahua.)

For me, I'm just thankful to Allah for letting me wake up to yet another day closer to The Big Day. Amin!

Speaking of The Big Day, I dragged my Ummi to Geylang for several different reasons. One, I wanted to take a look at the type of flowers I can possibly use for my DIY hand bouquet. Two, we were going to get fabric for my DIY dulang hantaran. And lastly, we were scouting for a particular tailor shop to tempah my mum & sister's baju for the reception.

Since most of the accesories from my wedding would be DIY (aiming for a cost-friendly wedding luh konon..), I figured I might as well start early. Well, the thing with me is that I am too much of a perfectionist. I would declare myself suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder - you can read about it here and here), personally. I tend to check things double triple quadruple times, I get crazy annoyed if things are not grouped the way they should be or if things get mixed up in the weirdest way possible. 

Crazy, isn't it? Hurhur.

So, how is this related to my DIY stuff, you ask? Well, I figured that if I were to start early, I can at least have some more time to make changes. (I remember myself during school days, redo-ing my entire art piece the night before submission date, just because I suddenly noticed that the paint "crosses the line" or that one of the many boxes is not of the same size as the rest. Apa lagi part hand bouquet or dulang? Lagiiiiiiiiiii particular!)

Besides, I have had a bad back since an accident in 2009, so I can't sit or stand for very long. Gosh, I feel so old! So, that means I can't work on something for very long and that alone is a good enough reason to start early.. Kan? Oh well, better safe than sorry.

I ended up actually buying some flowers from on of the flower shops at Joo Chiat. And thankfully enough, I did enough research on Youtube/Google/Pinterest on the type of flowers that would look nice as a hand bouquet. I roughly knew what I wanted, but I just needed my mum to help me decide.

In any case any of you BTBs are DIY-ing your hand bouqeut, here are some ideas for the flowers that might make you feel like Reese Witherspoon or Kate Winslet..
Limelight Hydrangea - wedding flowers
Hydrangeas
Calla lily
Calla Lily
Gardenia
Gardenia
Camellia.
Camellia
Even their names sound lovely, don't they? Teehee. These (and of course, roses) are just a few which I personally feel would look good. You can browse here for other pretty ones they have on Pinterest!

I, on the other hand, just have to decide on the colors I want for my bouquets.

Ummi and I then proceeded to look for the dulangs' fabric and got them at a steal at the usual shop we patronize! And uncle even gave us an extra metre for each fabric, walaupun tak perlu luh banyak-banyak luh kan. Nevertheless, alhamdulillah! :D

Oh, and we did manage to find the tailor shop we were dying to visit! We first came across their stall during the bazaar at Geylang last Ramadhan, and ended up buying a lot of outfits from them. We loved the fit, the workmanship and the service generally. So, I'm certain they'll do a good job on my mum & sister's outfit!

Having said all that, I went home to get started on this:
CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FINAL PRODUCT!

Let's just hope it looks like a bouquet in the end.. Hurhur.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    May I know which tailor did you patronize?
    Thanks.

    Best wishes,
    Nadirah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear! This particular one's called Krystal & it's located outside Joo Chiat Complex, along the flower shops. :)

      Delete